Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What a couple of days its been....

Hi everyone!!! Internet has been a pest the last few days. Last Wednesday-Friday we didn't have it at all and the last two days it has been touch and go. I figured while it was still working I would try to get out a quick post.

I was home sick today from school. It bummed me out since we were going to start our poetry and figurative language unit today. The students worked on some intro material, including a poetry pretest and a intro packet to figurative language. I'm hoping to go over those tomorrow and then go forward.

Happy Shrove Tuesday, or as some of you might know it better as Fat Tuesday. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. I don't know why but I always look forward to Lent and Easter so much. Ever since I joined the Catholic church almost two years ago, I can't help but get excited about the journey the next 40 days will bring.

Some of you may be interested in what I am choosing to "give up" for Lent. I know there are many people who feel we shouldn't share this information but since I am always so interested to hear what others are doing this time of year, I will tell you mine. First, I am starting a swear jar. It is a horrible habit and unbecoming of a lady. Do you think the Blessed Mother swore when she got frustrated or upset... I don't think so. So since she is one of my religious role models (along with my patron saint, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton), I wanted to try to change something in my life so I can be closer to them. Every time I swear, I put any spare change or bills in the jar. At the end of Lent, I will donate the money to Catholic Relief Services.

In addition to giving up, I like to take up a couple of things to bring me closer to Jesus. Every year I read from the "Little Black Book", a devotional that I spoke about last year during Lent. I also have added daily scripture reading from the women's devotional Bible I got this winter. I hope to start my day with reading a chapter of both the old and new testament and the devotional passage that goes along with it. Of course I intend on doing the normal Catholic things I always do: penance at least once during Lent if not more, Eucharist Adoration, Wednesday night Mass, and following all fasting and abstinence obligations.

I also forgot to mention that my application to become a Eucharist minister was approved and I begin training next month! I have been added to the schedule to participate in the Mass and my hope is that I will be one of the E.M. participating at the Easter Vigil, since that is a special night for me.

Okay, I'm off to work on some correcting and cleaning this apartment a little. That always makes me feel better after I've been sick!

No comments: